The Castro Varadero is fairly distinct from the rest of the Big Rig crowd, with its classic lines and unique pointed battering ram. It is essentially a re-created, unlicensed 1955 Peterbilt 281 from Steven Spielberg's cult classic Duel, although the cab of the Varadero is much more rounded and has a single front window.
Arctic Edge Customizable PartsEdit
- Front Bumper
- Wheels (Colour changing allowed)
- Framework (Colour changing only)
- Rear Item
- Suspension (Colour changing only)
- Number of available slots for sponsor stickers: 4
- Bonus livery: Yes
- A Christmas holiday livery for the Varadero in the original MotorStorm can be downloaded (for free) at the PlayStation Store. It paints the vehicle white and adds snow-man graphics.
- In the background cinematics in the first game, Valkyrie’s ”Death Cab” Varadero can be seen towing a music stage.
- The Varadero also appears in the RC Carnival Expansion Pack for MotorStorm RC.
- In Arctic Edge, a poorly-rendered wreck of the Castro Varadero can be seen lying on several tracks.
- The Varadero can be essentially described as MotorStorm's signature Big Rig, being one of the seven most seen vehicles and even possessing a vinyl that has the word MotorStorm across the side.
- The Varadero is named after Varadero, Cuba.
- In Motorstorm, Johnny R. ("Collier's" livery), Petulia Oil ("Rocket Girl" livery), Pete S. (green and orange livery) and Valkyrie ("Death Cab" livery) are the AI Characters seen driving this vehicle.
- As is the case with any other vehicle in the original MotorStorm, there are named AI drivers for player liveries who never appear in the game. The names are Rianna Helmutt (for the "MotorStorm" livery), Dan Hawson (for the "Spark Leads" livery), Collier (for the "American Dream" livery) and Scott Calvin (the Christmas DLC livery).
- It should be noted, that Collier most likely drives "American Dream" livery by mistake. "American Dream" livery is numbered 06 in the game files, while "Collier's" livery, driven by Johnny R., is numbered 05.
- There are also drivers named Hrolf, Andy Seymour and Chris Macca assigned to drive the Castro Varadero. However, their liveries do not exist in the game files and attempt to spawn them on the track will cause PS3 to freeze.
- Scott Calvin, who is set to drive the Christmas DLC livery, has the same name as the main protagonist from Disney's The Santa Clause trilogy.
- In Pacific Rift, Alexander Murdoch ("Spark Leads" livery), Chunky Baxter ("Rocket Girl" livery) and Janine Brazon ("MotorStorm" livery) are the AI Characters seen driving this vehicle.
- In Arctic Edge, Candy Buzzbomb (neon lines livery), Dylan Blaze ("Zombie Auto Parts" livery) and Yasmine Sharpe (tiger-striped livery) are the AI Characters seen driving this vehicle.
- Interestingly, these same 3 drivers all drive the Lunar-Tec Stratoses in their respective liveries.